Tuesday, May 09, 2006

So whats going on in my head

It recently came to my attention, that I have many unrealised dreams. Dreams which although they are God honouring, I have not really moved towards in the last 18 months.

What has replaced them (or prevented me from moving towards them) is the pursuit of a career. Don’t get me wrong, I like working. I like technology, I enjoy the mental challenge. But not enough for me to justify to myself the amount of time it consumes.

What is the point of climbing the corporate ladder (if you are even lucky enough to have that opportunity) if it leaves you lifeless and tired, drained and cynical, and an overall grump?

Now if your goal and dream is for that then great. Mine is not. I think a large portion of people have a number of dreams that they hope their careers will somehow support and enable. They convince themselves that the only thing between them and their dreams is finance. They then miserably live out a couple of decades and then fade away from society once they retire cashing in on a pension plan that turned out to be less reliable than the most recent fat dissolving cream on an infomercial.

They are left distraught and regretful of having lost the dreams that meant so much to them.

What are your dreams? What could you see yourself spending all your time doing? If it is climbing the corporate ladder then you are very fortunate unless you are in a dead end job where management doesn’t give two hoots about you. To many this may sound familiar.

In fact I have recently concluded that the corporate world is the ultimate pyramid scheme. In your company are you just a pawn, a slave, a means to an end or does it really want to build you up? Does it want to enable you to realise your dreams, or even care about your dreams? Are you a unique valuable person or just a tool to help Mr./Mrs. CEO earn a salary that is easily 20 times more than yours. Is this justifiable?

I have a few dreams. I want to help alleviate poverty. I want to show my countrymen that cultures can exists together in harmony. I want to love the downcast. I want to be a voice of hope to battered and abused children. I want to adopt abandoned kids. I want my home to be a haven, a place of shelter and peace. I want to mentor people in how to steward their finances and take their own business initiatives. I want to be a father to the fatherless (natural and spiritual). I want to be a champion for the character trait of compassion.

I must conclude then that I’ve been doing the wrong thing. I don’t think I ever want a conventional job again. I have recently started a new journey.

Mondays are now my day off… my week will be Tuesday to Saturday. I have not had a day of rest for 18 months… and it took its toll. Trying to be active in church and have a career does not allow you that time. Mondays are now a day of meditation, preparation and rest.

I also plan on making some bold steps towards my dreams… the ride could get rough but I’m going to do it… I’d rather fail trying than one day looking back with sorrow wishing I had not sold my soul to the rat race and popular culture.

Unless something mobilises me now for my dreams, I am not going to do it.

--> Sparks flying

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google has found the following information based on the topics that I have posted. These adverts do not necessarily coincide with my views.